Accreditation and Licensure

Accreditation and Licensure

The Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine is accredited by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA), operating under authority granted to it by the US Department of Education, to offer an academic program leading to the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) degree. The degree is conferred by the Board of Trustees of the College on those candidates successfully completing the course of study and recommended by the College’s faculty.

Following a comprehensive site visit in January 2020, the College was found to be in compliance with 68 of 70 required accreditation elements and granted initial Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. The College provided the COCA with a progress report in November 2020 and the COCA has determined that the College has demonstrated compliance with all 70 (100%) of the required accreditation elements. The College’s accreditation is subject to renewal in 2024.

The address and phone number of the COCA are:

Secretary, Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation
American Osteopathic Association
142 East Ontario Street
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone: 312-202-8124
Fax: 312-202-8209

Complaints regarding COCA Accreditation Standards can be registered through the following link: 

The Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine has obtained Candidacy Status by the Higher Learning Commission (, a historically regional accreditor recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. The College requested and has been granted an evaluation for initial accreditation by HLC. A site visit for initial accreditation will occur October 14-15, 2024.

The Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine is licensed by the New Mexico Higher Education Department (NMHED). The Private Postsecondary Division of the NMHED is responsible for the oversight and authorization of private postsecondary institutions operating in New Mexico. NMHED’s process for authorizing private postsecondary institutions can be found on the NMHED website:

Students wishing to file a complaint related to state licensure should register their complaint through the Director of Accreditation. If the complainant is not satisfied, the complaint can be registered through the contact information below:

New Mexico Higher Education Department
Private Post Secondary Schools Division
2044 Galisteo Street, Suite 4
Santa Fe, NM 87505, (505) 476-8400 

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has granted a Certificate of Authority to Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine to conduct limited field-based experiences in the degree listed below:

Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine

This certificate does not constitute accreditation; the issuance of this certificate attests only that the institution has met the Board’s standards established for nonexempt institutions. Questions or complaints about this institution should be addressed to:

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, Texas 78711

For students who participate in field experiences in Texas, after all of the College’s student complaint or grievance procedures have been exhausted, if the matter remains unresolved, a formal complaint may be filed with the THECB. Please visit THECB website for information regarding student complaint procedures. The rules governing student complaints can be found in the Texas Administrative Code.

The College holds a Provisional License from the State of Florida’s Commission for Independent Education:  

The National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that sets national standards for interstate offerings of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine is an NC-SARA approved institution and the New Mexico Higher Education Department (NMHED) is the SARA Portal Entity for New Mexico. Distance Education students attending Burrell who desire to resolve a grievance should follow this established grievance policy and procedures. However, if an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file an NC-SARA complaint with NMHED. For more information, please visit NMHED’s website. 

Please view a list of State License Requirements here: