- Burrell Faculty Handbook Section 15: Promotion in Rank
- Instructions for Preparing the Promotions Portfolio
- Standard Burrell CV Template (suggested format, not mandatory for use in portfolio)
- Chair’s Letter Guidelines
|2023-2024 PROMOTIONS CYCLE TIMELINE|
|September 11, 2023||Dean announces the timeline for the academic year||N/A|
|October 2, 2023||Statement of Intent||Letter to Department Chair (on paper and electronically)|
|October 9, 2022||Confirmation of Intent from the Departments Chair to the A & P Chair and instructions provided||Electronic communication from A & P Chair to the candidate and Department Chair|
|November 6, 2022||Candidate(s) provides a list of 3-5 potential external reviewers||Short paragraph of the common relationship by electronic communication to A&P Committee Chair, including names and complete contact information (Name, academic affiliation, physical address, e-mail address, office, and cell telephone numbers)|
|December 11, 2022||Portfolio due to Department Chair||One paper copy in three-ring binders plus electronic version as a single PDF file with bookmarks|
|January 8, 2023||Portfolio due to the A & P committee||One paper copy in three-ring binders plus electronic version as a single PDF file with bookmarks|
|January 15, 2023*||Portfolio due to the External Reviewers||Electronic version as a single PDF file with bookmarks (secure sight for review)|
|February 19, 2023||Portfolio review due to the A & P|
Committee from the External Reviewers
|March 25, 2023||A & P Candidate(s) report due to the Dean|
|April 22, 2023||Final determination by Dean||Letter from the Dean to the candidate(s)|
|May 6, 2023||Appeal (if applicable)||Letter to the President (on paper and electronically)|
|June 10, 2023||Final decision by President||Letter from President to the candidate|
|July 1, 2023||Promotions granted effective||N/A|
Helpful links and resources for building your portfolio:
- Includes worksheets to help faculty evaluate and display excellence across multiple educator domains
- Provides a sample portfolio and evaluator assessment guide.
- In this recorded presentation, University of New Mexico faculty share advice for preparing a promotion and tenure dossier.
- By Hannelore B. Rodriguez-Farrar
- A resource to help faculty document their teaching achievements and progress over time
- Also provides a guide on writing a personal teaching philosophy and CV
- by Gabriela A. Montell
- by James M. Lang
- Step-by-step resource including documenting teaching responsibilities, writing a teaching statement, selecting sample teaching materials for dossier, and highlighting teaching effectiveness.
- Includes a helpful reading list on teaching portfolios.
For any questions on the current promotions cycle, please contact the Chair of the Appointment and Promotions Committee, Dr. Scott Cyrus, email@example.com.
For faculty support or questions regarding faculty resources, please contact Faculty Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org.