More than 200 researchers and medical professionals from all over the world visited BCOM in November. BCOM partnered with the Americas Network for Chronic Diseases (AMNET) to host the prestigious international conference, Chronic Diseases: Borderless. Attendees representing 17 different countries–including Argentina, Canada, Columbia, China, India, Mexico, and the United States–participated in workshops and breakout sessions covering a wide range of topics related to chronic diseases including neurodegenerative disease risk factors and cross-border surveillance of non-communicable diseases. Sessions also delved into research methods, scientific writing, and community action.
BCOM faculty members Dr. Mita Das, Dr. Mike Zawada, Dr. Francisco Laboy, Dr. Manuel Mota-Castillo, and Dr. Hugo Vilchis all presented at the conference. BCOM President John Hummer and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs Dr. Robert Ketchum also participated, and BCOM student John Avery Neal presented his research abstract on developing a framework for improving immunization coverage.
The conference was organized by AMNET President Dr. Hugo Vilchis, MD, an associate dean at BCOM as well as the director of the Burrell Institute for Health Policy & Research. While this was the 13th AMNET conference, it was the very first held in the United States. Dr. Vilchis said it’s also the first time they’ve incorporated mental health discussions into the topics and the first time that representatives have come together to officially sign a collaborative resolution to coordinate research projects and methodologies between the various institutes.
Eleven research institutions signed the three point declaration, vowing to facilitate exchanges between students and faculty, and to develop and implement a research methods course that will ensure all institutions are adhering to the same standards and practices. They also agreed to implement a multi-site chronic disease study that will span all 11 universities and institutes.
- Universidad Nacional del Mar del Plata – Argentina
- Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations – India
- Florida International University – United States
- Universidad Catolica de El Salvador – El Salvador
- Universidad de Antioquia – Colombia
- Universidad Autonoma de Chihuahua – Mexico
- University of Ottawa – Canada
- University of Toronto – Canada
- University of Chinghai – China
- Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine – United States
- Burrell Institute for Health Policy & Research – United States