Associate Professor of Pharmacology
Phone: 575- 674-2342
Department: Biomedical Sciences
Ph.D. Pharmacological and Physiological Science – 1999-2005
Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
Dissertation: The Role of Catecholamine Oxidation in Neuronal Cell Degeneration
B.S. Pharmacy – 1989-1995
University of Missouri-Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri
- Investigating the effectiveness of an Interprofessional Education curriculum on student attitudes toward interprofessional collaboration
- Examining the effectiveness of participating in an experiential community health program on students’ retention of knowledge related to AACOM’s competencies for public health systems and their perception of knowledge of the social determinants of health and underserved patient population topics
- Investigating the role of catecholamine oxidation and the formation of aminochromes, oxidized catecholamines, in cardiovascular disease
Professional Accomplishments & Memberships
2013-present Registered Pharmacist: State of South Carolina, Board of Pharmacy
1995-present Registered Pharmacist: State of Missouri, Board of Pharmacy
- Herrera ELW, Ables AZ, Martin C, Ochs SD. (2019) Development and Implementation of an Interprofessional Education Certificate Program in a Community-based Osteopathic Medical School. Journal of Interprofessional Education & Practice, 14: 30-38. DOI: 10.1016/j.xjep.2018.11.002.
- Caldwell JD, Londe K, Ochs SD, Hajdu Z, Rodewald A, Gebhart VM, Jirikowski, GF. (2019) Three Steroid-binding Globulins, Their Localization in the Brain and Nose, and What They Might be Doing There. Steroids, 142: 48-54. DOI: 10.1016/j.steroids.2017.12.004.
- Jirikowski GF, Ochs SD, Caldwell JD. (2018) Oxytocin and Steroid Action. In: Behavioral Pharmacology of Neuropeptides: Oxytocin. Hurlemann R and Grinevich V, editors. Current Topics in Behavioral Neurosciences, 35: 77-95. DOI: 10.1007/7854_2017_9.
- Caldwell JD, Londe K, Ochs SD, Gebhart V, Jirikowski GF, Hajdu Z. (2018) The Close Proximity of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin and Estradiol Receptor-beta (ERβ) in PC12 Cells Differentiated with Nerve Growth Factor and Treated with Estradiol. International Journal of Steroids and Hormonal Science. DOI: 10.29011/ IJSHS-101/100001
- Ochs SD, Westfall TC, Macarthur H. (2005) The separation and quantification of aminochromes using high-pressure liquid chromatography with electrochemical detection. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 142: 201-208.
- Cui X, Parent C, Macarthur H, Ochs SD, Gerstenberg E, Solomon S, et al. (2004) Severity of sepsis alters the effects of superoxide anion inhibition in a rat sepsis model. Journal of Applied Physiology, 97: 1349-1357.